Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Unselfish Noah

Whenever I begin reading about a particular story or passage in the Bible, I like to know who is in the story and a little bit about them. My Bible is the Life Application Study Bible and they have profiles on different characters. Here is the one about Noah:

    "The story of Noah's life involves not one, but two great and tragic floods. The world in Noah's day was flooded with evil. The number of those who remembered the God of creation, perfection, and love had dwindled to one. Of God's people, only Noah was left. God's response to the severe situation was a 120-year-long last chance, during which he had Noah build a graphic illustration of the message of his life. Nothing like a huge boat on dry land to make a point! For Noah, obedience meant a long-term commitment to a project.
    Many of us have trouble sticking to any project, whether or not it is directed by God. It is interesting that the length of God's obedience was greater than the lifespan of people today. The only comparable long-term project is our very lives. But perhaps this is one great challenge Noah's life gives us - to live, in acceptance of God's grace, an entire lifetime of obedience and gratitude."


This seems to be the story of my life - having trouble sticking to a project!! I have found myself lately telling God that I am too busy for certain things. You know, God, I do have a 1 year old that requires a lot of attention!! I am planning her birthday party for Saturday and I keep letting go or not taking up obligations. When did I get so selfish about my own little family?? What if Noah told God "no" because he had too much to do with his family?

Don't get me wrong...I still have A LOT to do for her party and those of you that know me know that my OCD is really out of control right now...not to mention the 5,000 cupcakes that I will be baking and decorating (not really 5,000 but I feel like it is close to that). I have not baked much so this has been a big undertaking which has turned out to be a lot of fun for me. It is interesting how something that I thought would be a terrible and time-consuming project has turned into something that I love doing (Elizabeth loves getting messy with me!).

So as I get ready to go back to working after my lunch break, I am trying to not stress over my to-do list and reminding myself how Noah must have felt with his to-do list to get the ark ready. Keeping my ears and heart open to hear what God needs me to do and hoping that my selfishness will not win over His calling!!


P.S. I promise that not all my posts will deal with Noah!!! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment